Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Some Reasons to Praise God:

I haven't posted anything to this blog in a few days, but I thought I would update it by posting some things that I feel like I should praise God for today.

1. I am really thankful to God for giving me allergies to pork, seafood, and tofu! When I first found out I was allergic to so many things a little over a year ago, it was hard to figure out what to eat and it was not that much fun! I did eventually adjust to it and I handle it pretty well now. As hard as it was to adjust in the U.S., it is even harder to adjust in Korea since the main products Koreans eat are seafood, pork, and tofu! They have the occasional beef and chicken, but it is really hard to find here and even if a restaurant has it, I can't read Korean so I don't always know. I realized the other day that having these allergies was not that bad and it has given me even more reason to be thankful to God! Some of my teachers were eating live octopus that was still moving in the tray the other day. Totally Disgusting! A lot of times the fish that is served at the table still has the eyes and everything attached. Yuck! Also, a lot of the pork here resembles bacon and is more fat than meat! Double Yuck! All of these things have made me realize that it is often the most simple things that we forget to praise God for on a daily basis!

2. This one is really huge for me...I found out close to a month ago about the orphanage that is within walking distance from KNU where I live! Several professors here and friends at the church have tried to put me in contact with people that could help me volunteer there, but after many calls, facebook messages, and attempts at church, I always came up short! Current volunteers had been in contact with workers at the orphanage and I was approved to go, but the main problem was that no one was ever able to show me where it was! The saddest part was that I had been told the orphanage was near a big department store that I can actually see from my dormitory! It really bothered me because all I wanted to do was volunteer my time! Finally this past Sunday, one of my friends, Margaret who is Korean-American and therefore speaks very good Korean, told me she was volunteering at the orphanage on Thursday! She also offered to take me to the orphanage to meet one of the main teachers there. So today, I had a meeting at the orphanage and I get to go tutor some elementary children this Thursday! I am so excited because it is one of my life-long passions to work in an orphanage! I am also excited because I have been praying about this since I heard the orphanage was so close to KNU. I really wanted to work with babies and toddlers, but the teacher we met with said her main need is English tutoring because the children there do not know any English, at all. I am excited because I will be tutoring 2 students, but she wants it to be more like mentoring than just teaching. We will be able to take them places and get to know them more personally than I am able to do at school because there are so many kids. I just want to Praise God for answering my prayer and helping me to fulfill the desires of my heart! He is an awesome God!

3. I am really thankful for the Internet! I realize that more and more as I think about living on the other side of the world from my family and friends! It would be so much harder being in Korea if I was not able to instant message, text, call people on skype, and look at everyone's photos on facebook!

Well, I think I have rambled enough for the day! There are so many things that I could praise God for, big and small, but I will leave it at those 3 for this blog!

4 comments:

mamamissin said...

i loved reading you blog, love mama

mamamissin said...

everyday i am so amazed at how wonderrful you are. i am so blessed to have you as my daughter. everyone that comes in contact with you will be blessed because you have such a sincere heart. i love and miss uou. mama

Cindy said...

Since this is my second message to you on your blog (not sure what happen to the first) I will try again. I love hearing how God is working in your life. He is truly blessing your faithfulness in answering His call. I am so proud of you as you continually grow in your love for the Lord. You are always in my heart and I pray for you often. lots of love to a good friend. Cindy

Peter Migner said...

you stopped posting to your blog. Why?